Let’s face it, we all have those days or weeks (no judgement) when it feels like life is on auto pilot and cleaning is the last thing on your mind. If you couple that with the dreary winter weather (doesn’t apply if you live on the west coast), the 1-2 items that have now grown into a 3 ft pile, and not having a clue where to start, then you’re probably a prime candidate for a good spring cleaning. You’ll probably want to set aside your Saturday morning and afternoon, depending on how long it’s been since you did a thorough cleaning. Spring is just weeks away, so here’s your chance to get a head start !
First things first, make sure you have all the supplies you’ll need to get your spring refresh underway.
|· Air Freshener||
· All-Purpose Cleaner
|· Broom||· Bucket||· Dishwashing Soap|
|· Disinfecting Spray||· Disinfecting Wipes||· Dust Mop ( Swiffer Sweeper)|
|· Dustpan||· Glass Cleaner||· Hamper|
|· Laundry Detergant||· Laundry Stain Remover||· Microfiber Cloths|
|· Oven Cleaner||· Rubber Gloves||· Scrub Brushes|
|· Mop||· Sponges||· Spray Bottles|
|· Storage Containers||· Toilet Brush||· Trash Bags|
|· Upholstery Spot Remover||· Vacuum||
· Furniture Polish
* Make your spring cleaning a little more enjoyable by creating a cleaning playlist. I suggest adding songs like “Work” by Rhianna for a little extra motivation. Need a little more inspiration? Check out PopSugar’s “Spring Cleaning” playlist on Spotify.
The key is to complete one room before moving on to the next. Here’s a list of tasks you’ll seriously want to consider to bring balance back to your home and maybe even your life!
The Spring Refresh Breakdown – Room by Room
- Clean out the refrigerator and freezer and throw away any “vintage” food items.
- Clean the inside of your oven and stove top. Remove and clean the stove burners and knobs.
- Clean out your drawers and cabinets. If you’ve got a little time, use contact paper to line your drawers and cabinet shelves.
- Wash and put away any dirty dishes.
- Sweep and Mop kitchen floor. Also wipe down the baseboards, if you don’t mind getting down on the floor.
- Clean the top and behind your refrigerator. You’d be surprised at the amount of dirt that’s accumulated.
- Wash all bedding ( i.e. Sheets, comforter, mattress pad..)
- Spray mattress with disinfectant spray.
- Wash pillows or replace them if needed. Check out Apartment Therapy for a tutorial on “How to Wash Pillows”.
- Clear out any items that may have “fallen” under or behind your bed.
- Rotate and flip your mattress,if necessary.
- Dust headboard and bed frame for a real deep clean.
- Go through your closet and switch out your winter clothes for summer clothes. Store your winter clothes neatly in a storage bin and say ” so long til next year”.
- Empty all cabinets and wipe down inside and out. Try using drawer organizers like the
- Discard expired medications and cosmetics.
- Wash outside of cabinets and vanities
- Scrub and clean bathtub. Also make sure to clean the drain.
- Clean toilet, inside and out. Remove seat and clean around the seat bolts.
- Clean bathroom sink and drain. Don’t forget to shine the faucets!
- Clean the mirror with glass cleaner. Using newspaper reduces the amount of streaks on the mirror.
- Sweep and mop the bathroom floor
If you haven’t given up by now, here are some more tasks that apply to every room.
- Clean your windows inside and out.
- Dust ceiling fan blades ( If you have a ceiling fan)
- Wipe down light switch plates, walls, and trim.
- Wipe down door and door knobs.
- Dust light fixtures.
- Vacuum out your couches and chairs. ( you may find some loose change)
- Vacuum carpet and spot clean carpet and shake out area and throw rugs.
- Dust and polish any wooden furniture.
- Dust and wipe down all fixtures (I.e. bookshelves, wall shelves, wall art)
- Take out the trash!
Happy Spring Cleaning !